CM Dr. Sarma Visits GMCH: Takes Stock of Progress in Construction of “Mother & Child Hospital” Wing

132

Mother & Child Hospital Construction Nearly 70% Complete, Hopeful of Opening it for Public Use by April 2025, says CM Dr. Sarma

Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday arrived at the premises of the Gauhati Medical College & Hospital and took stock of the progresses on the construction front of the Mother & Child Hospital wing being built at a cost of Rs. 375 crores and consisting of 8 floors, excluding the basement and the ground floor,and with atotal building area of 56,840 square meters. Thereafter, Dr. Sarma chaired a meeting that was attended by senior health department officials and GMCH authorities during which matters related to filling up of vacant faculty positions, recruitment of staff, capacity expansion, to name a few,of the medical college and hospital were discussed.

Speaking to media-persons, Chief Minister Dr. Sarma said the purpose of his visit was to look into the progresses on the construction front of the upcoming “Mother & Child wing” of GMCH and get a first-hand idea of its floor-plan. He said the need for a wing dedicated entirely to maternal and pediatric medical cases had been long felt owing to the increasing number of patients visiting GMCH for treatment. The Mother & Child Hospital, on becoming functional, shall contribute greatly towards enhancing the capacity and efficiency of GMCH in dealing with such medical cases, Dr. Sarma added. The Chief Minister stated around 70% of the construction works of the Mother & Child Hospital have been completed and that the remaining 30% are likely to be finished on or before April of 2025.

The State Cancer Institute and the Cardiothoracic & Neuroscience Centre of GMCH have been contributing immensely in making modern healthcare services affordable and accessible to all, the Chief Minister said, speaking about the importance of a robust public healthcare delivery system in the State. As GMCH’s various departments, including super-specialty ones, start getting their own dedicated buildings, the current “main” building will eventually be housing only three departments, the Chief Minister said, adding the resulting de-crowding of patients will lead to reduced spread of infections among patients and visitors.

The Chief Minister also instructed health department officials to expedite the process of filling up of vacant faculty positions in the State’s medical colleges and hospital. He also advised the GMCH authorities to make a transition from conventional electricity to solar-generated electricity for their daily energy needs.

Commissioner & Secretary of Medical Education & Research Department Dr. Siddharth Singh, Principal of GMCH Dr. Achyut Chandra Baishya, along with a host of senior officials were present.

Comments are closed.